As COVID-19 vaccine distribution begins, warn your patients of potential scams. For example, here is a list of red flags:
- Patients are asked to pay out of pocket to get the vaccine.
- Patients are asked to pay to put their name on a vaccine waiting list or to get early access.
- Advertisements for vaccines that are on social media platforms or coming from email, telephone calls, online, or from unsolicited and unknown sources.
- Marketers are selling or shipping doses of the vaccine for payment.
Remind your patients to protect themselves by not giving out their personal information to unknown sources.
If your patients believe they are victims of COVID-19 fraud, immediately report it to the following agencies:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (HHS-OIG) Hotline: 1-800-HHS-TIPS (1-800-447-8477)
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Hotline: 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) Hotline: 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)