Asthma and COVID-19
Provider news | Monday, July 6, 2020
According to the CDC, people with moderate to severe asthma may be at higher risk of complications from COVID-19, such as pneumonia and Acute Respiratory Disease Syndrome. As providers, you play an essential role in educating your patients about their asthma and how to manage it. Work with your patients to:
- Create an asthma action plan
- Talk about medication adherence
- Prescribe enough refills for one year on asthma maintenance medication prescriptions
- Provide them with a prescription for an emergency supply of asthma medication
- Discuss how they can limit their risk to COVID-19 exposure
- Discuss what to do in case of an emergency
- SCFHP rewards members for taking care of their health. Medi-Cal members ages 5-64 diagnosed with asthma can get a $15 gift card (once a quarter) for timely asthma controller refills. Visit www.scfhp.com/rewards for more information.
For more information on COVID-19 and its impact on those with asthma, visit the CDC website.