Cultural Competence Web Resources
Cultural Competence Web Resources
The following on-line trainings and resources are provided for educational purposes, and are not intended as a particular endorsement of any organization. Additionally, these resources should not be interpreted as medical advice.
We do our best to keep these links current, but web pages often expire. If the web address provided does not work, use a search engine and search under the organization’s name.
The following resources include information on: 1) ADA requirements; 2) working with people with disabilities; 3) providing reasonable accommodations; 4) communicating effectively; 5) best practices; 6) awareness and competency training; and 7) regulatory guidelines.
- Center for Persons with Disabilities www.cpdusu.org/about/committee/awareness
- Council for Disability Awareness www.disabilitycanhappen.org/resources
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights www.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/ocr/civilrights/resources/factsheets/504.pdf
- U. S. Department of Justice www.ada.gov/cguide.htm
- Harris Family Center for Disability and Health Policy http://hfcdhp.org/training/
These resources include information on: 1) challenges of aging; 2) understanding barriers; 3) methods to achieve cultural competence in target populations; and 4) resources to serve the target populations.
- Center on an Aging Society www.ihcrp.georgetown.edu/agingsociety
- Sourcewise (Formerly Council on Aging) www.mysourcewise.com
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration www.hrsa.gov/CulturalCompetence/age.html
- On Lok Lifeways www.onlok.org/
- National Institute on Aging www.nia.nih.gov/health
This section includes information on effective models to serve African Americans.
This section includes information on how to: 1) increase awareness about concepts and preferences; 2) understand cultural differences; and 3) effectively communicate with Asian patients.
- University of Washington Medical Center www.depts.washington.edu/pfes/CultureClues.htm
- Vietnamese Reach for Health Coalition www.viethealthcoalition.org/index.html
- Diversity RX www.diversityrx.org/resources/our-stories-our-health
This section includes basic information on low literacy and how it affects people in making health care decisions.
- Resources for Cross-Cultural Health Care
- Culture, Language and Health Literacy www.hrsa.gov/culturalcompetence/index.html
- Health Care for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Community http://kaiserf.am/OjfwFX
- Definitions of Cultural Competence www.nccccurricula.info/culturalcompetence.html
- National Council on Interpreting in Health Care www.ncihc.org
- Office of Minority Health – "A Physician’s Practical Guide to Culturally Competent Care"
- The Cross Cultural Health Care Program www.xculture.org/
These resources provide overviews of Hispanic culture including 1) basic understanding about the culture; 2) how to outreach to Hispanic population; 3) how to provide competent care services.
- National Alliance for Hispanic Health www.hispanichealth.org
- National Council of La Raza www.nclr.org
- National Hispanic Council on Aging www.nhcoa.org
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration www.hrsa.gov/culturalcompetence/servicesforhispanics.pdf
This section focuses on: 1) understanding of mental health stigma: 2) skills to develop cultural competency; 3) how to communicate; 4) how to conduct cultural sensitivity assessment; 5) how to building bridges with families; and 6) effective outreach methods.
- NKI Center of Excellence in Culturally Competent Mental Health www.ssrdqst.rfmh.org/cecc/sites/ssrdqst.rfmh.org.cecc/UserFiles/ToolkitChecklistWorkbook.pdf
- Hogg Foundation for Mental Health www.hogg.utexas.edu/uploads/documents/cultural_competency_guide.pdf
- Temple University Collaborative: Cultural Competence in Mental Health www.tucollaborative.org/pdfs/Toolkits_Monographs_Guidebooks/community_inclusion/Cultural_Competence_in_MH.pdf